Sunday, February 26, 2012

Straight Edged

My fellow gents!

My deepest apologies for being absent recently. I have undertaken a new job and have not have much time to write. But I assure you that my recent endeavors will satisfy. Recently I have been collecting vintage straight razors. As it is a new venture for me, I am getting use to what money to spend on the razors. My first one called "The Artist" by J.R. Torrey out of Massachusetts. The handle was decorated really cool but the blade was tarnished. I figured I can polish it out and sharpen the blade up. Needless to say, sharpening a straight razor is a lot of work. (A friend and I are heading up to a restoration workshop next weekend which will be really fun). I bought all the accessories needed, the strop and paste, shave soap, a hone, a sweet shaving mug from the 50s by Old Spice (just aquired another Old Spice mug as well), and I have about 6 brushes. The Artist however is not in very good shape and spend a little more than I should on it after trying to sharpen it up on the hone and strop. We will see how it turns out at the workshop.

My second and last razor I got was last week in Harrisburg, VA. I will be going back soon to get more from the store. This one is called "Trustworthy" by Mappin & Webb, Royal Cutlery Works, Sheffield, as in Sheffield, England. After some research and finding some fellows on a razor forum, I have learned that this is a high quality top of the line razor. They were contracted by the Royal Family to make razors, utensils, jewelry, etc for them. The blade was in perfect condition, covered in a protective oil to keep from rusting and the handle was made of ivory, not Bakelite. I honed it up a little and stropped it and needless to say the blade is way sharp and you can tell the difference between the two razors. I can't wait to continue my collection and learning the art of shaving like a real man.

No comments:

Post a Comment