Monday, April 23, 2012

Lather Up!

Two in a row on old school shaving! Needless to say that the collection has boomed. My one shaving mug has now exploded into 15 shaving mugs and counting as well as a few brushes and other shaving items. This has turned into a little obsession and is very fun scavenging through antique stores, yard sales, thrift shops, & flea markets. Here are shots of my collection. Among the collection I have many Old Spice mugs, an Apollo tin shaving mirror with a mug built in, a Mohawk mug with a cool pirate ship on it with mountains, "Men Only" mug, "Your father's mustache?", A 1908 Oldsmobile car mug, Train by Avon, and an original vintage mug with men's faces and a reproduction, and a mug with my initial on it that isn't technically a shaving mug but has the correct shape and had to put it in my collection. Some of the OS mugs on first look are the same but upon further inspection they have differences. One has the same look but with two different ships and another has the same on the front but the bottom has different markings.




Also, I have not found any new blades worth buying since my last ones. But... I have since been to the restoration workshop and revamped my Mappin & Webb blade (also polished it up on the buffer). I dismantled it and made my own scales (handle pieces) out of genuine buffalo horn and finished it up with brass pins. Pretty sweet. Check it out!

 

Blade is out and polished. Laid out the blade and traced out a scale design and copied it onto the buffalo horn. Both sides were glued together to have the same size when working with shaping it. Below I am sanding out the design on the horn. Then hand sanded up to 2000 grit to polish it and get the edges round. Then deep polished it with the buffer wheel. 


The final scales polished and then put together with the brass pins. 
Hope you enjoy the post! Leave me comments and share!

Edit May 1, 2012: New mugs, brush and razor!
This is a great razor I got for $8.00! It is a W.R. Case & Sons more commonly known as CASE knives. They used to make shaving razors and are now very collectible and worth lots of money. 

No comments:

Post a Comment